Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Simplfying Matters

As I drove around doing errands I was thinking, actually more like reflecting upon the time of year we are now entering. I feel like there is too much noise, things around me feel like they are too crowded. I like to simplify things. I wondered to myself today what was Christmas like back in the mid 1800's? I mused how organic all of it must of been back then. The preparations, the cooking, the making of gifts. Everything then compared to now took effort, thought, planning of details, and I imagined nothing necessarily came with ease. What I love about the retro days that have come and gone was the simplicity. Even for me growing up in the 60's it was still a time of certain innocence. Many things were still made here in the U.S.A. There were no electronic gadgets, Iphones, Ipads, and so on. There was simple. So as I prepare for an upcoming Holiday Craft Fair in Santa Rosa, CA in early December I have kept my philosophy to sticking with meaning, simplicity, and value. I have made items that represent the spirit of the past, the hope of the moment. The advent of Christmas is not about over commercialization.  Nor is about getting the next best thing.

Christmas is a time to honor, and give back. It is a time to reflect and to remember. I can only imagine what a white Christmas meant in the late 1800's? Spleandor and beauty.  I so passionately love Artistic Outposts Mid Winter Stamp set. I love many of their stamps simply because they are so beautiful. I also love many of
the new ideology items Tim Holtz came out with
for this winter and holiday. I hope to honor the past by remembering tradition and the spirit of the season. I will post some pictures soon.
















No comments:

Post a Comment